I do love Mother's Day. I am grateful for wonderful grandmothers, my mom, my mother-in-law, and my other mother (love you Susie).
Today Little J was very quiet, so David and I called him into our room to ask what was up.
Big crocodile tears arose and he said...."I miss Asnakech....(aka birthmom).... She must be sad today knowing that it is Mother's Day. Pastor Kevin talked about how mom's teach their children about God. I am sad, because I can't remember if she taught me anything."
So, with tears I reminded him of the conversation that I was privileged to have with his birthmom in Ethiopia.
When I was in the orphanage, the first time I met Little J, his smile captured my heart. He was adored by his caregivers who wept when he left. He was the first to show love and kindness to the other children he lived with and the caregivers kept saying..."He is so special to us."
When I arrived in Little J's hometown, I was so nervous to meet Asnakech. She was very tall and very thin, barely able to walk. Her hair was beautifully braided and I was struck by her kind eyes. We walked for quite a distance to their home. A very small, dirt floored lean-to with a metal roof. The only things that fit in there was a twin sized bed and a bench. Rows and rows of "apartments" like this one as far as I could see. Poverty everywhere, but kindness prevailing.
As we entered, we both wept. She kept kissing my arms and thanking me. I wanted her to know what a lovely son she had raised and what a good mother she was and always would be. I told her what the orphanage workers said about Little J and his beautiful heart. She cried. We sat quietly for bit. I told her that I would tell him of her great love and sacrifice for him. I assured her that her memory would never be diminished or forgotten.
So today, in honor of Asnakech, I told Little J what all his birthmom had taught him. Kindness, gentleness, laughter, love. His personality is a reflection of the tender care that she gave to him for the first five years of his life. Her illness and extreme poverty kept her from raising him to manhood.
So, as I thank the Lord for the gift of motherhood to six wonderful children (one of whom I haven't even met), I remember many things....
For three children, I remember the days I found out I was pregnant, the look on David's face when I told him that I was, the days of their births.
For three, I honor and treasure the three women who gave our children life in a far off country in circumstances unknown and did their very best for as long as they could.
Most importantly, I treasure our precious and glorious God who allows us to parent them. To Him be all the glory, honor, and praise. May we parent in a way pleasing to Him and may they honor Him with their lives.
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Mother's Day
Posted by Sojourning Mom at 4:56 PM
Labels: family news
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Beautiful Tera!
((((((((((Little J))))))))
Tita B loves you, so very much!
Post a Comment